There are hundreds of web hosts out there so I’ve put together a bit of a wish list to ensure you know what to look for when setting up hosting for your WordPress website.
In my experience you get what you pay for with web hosting. The cheapest host is not necessarily the best option, but as most of my clients are start ups or small business you don’t need all the bells and whistles either. Most small businesses are well served by a hosting plan costing around $15-$30 a month.
WordPress hosting wishlist
- Linux hosting. To maximise your website in search results you want a linux host so you can make the most of WordPress Permalinks
- Your host needs to support
- PHP 5.2.4 or greater
- MySQL 5.0 or greater
- The mod_rewrite Apache module
- Do they have any Php.ini modifications limits. It is preferable that this is at least 64Mb.
- Do they offer phone support and what are their hours? I have dealt with hosts that charge for phone support and only answer etickets. This is not ideal if you have anything other than a simple request.
- Where are the servers located? Servers and support within Australia is a plus as it means they are in the same time zone if anything goes wrong.
Alot of hosts offer specials at end of financial year or if you complete the transaction online. It’s also worth calling to see if you can get a better deal by paying for a year in advance.
All sounding too hard?
Give me a call. I am more than happy to get all this set up or answer any questions you may have.